Search This Blog

Thursday 14 October 2010

Obscured by Clouds

Managed to speak to my neices on skype last night which was really cool, the ability to check in with familiar things keeps this long trip just that little bit easier, from now though it might just get a bit too hectic and far away for all that. 

Went out to Paddys and met up with a kiwi and his guide just back from the Everest trek. The guide is full of confidence, telling me he's going to guide Everest, but it's a happy confidence that rubs off a bit. He's drinking green tea, and laughing at jokes I'm surprised he understands. He wants to do Ama Dablam next year, and thinks if I can do Imja I should have a chance of summiting the 6900m icon of the Himalaya. I wonder if the good lady would allow another mission out here?!

The kiwi guy is travelling the world in two months, pretty much a whistle stop tour, which must be pretty tough because you never have time to get orientated. Respect, though, he's out there doing it.

Before all that I sat up in Northfield chatting with a couple out here on charity work, I might be able to get some time with them when I'm back. She's from Saffron Walden and a doctor, and is fulfilling a friend's wish. A friend who trekked to EBC with cancer. Pretty awesome that. Makes my worrying about it seem silly. 

The husband tells me a funny story where he's repeatedly asked If he likes 'hashish' by a shoe shine boy. And the boy won't accept that he doesn't like it. "all English like hasish, " and so it goes on. Then the kid says "Australians like hashish too... Ricky Ponting, Andrew Flintoff...all like...." The guy then realises he's saying "Ashes.. You like Ashes!"

There's a few kids knocking round sniffing glue last night, slumped up against the police box. No-one chases them away, arrests them or even takes much notice. They don't seem to have the fears we in the west do where we sweep things like that under the carpet I think.

It's pretty chilly this morning, the first time I've seen a lot of cloud, although apparently it gets foggy here quite often as KTM is in a valley. It's the first time I've not seen the sun while I've had breakfast since I have been here. I've been out for some more drugs for AMS and some other bits and some breakfast, then it's time to move on to Laizupat, change hotels again and meet up with the trekking group. 

No comments:

Post a Comment