Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 November 2010

The End, and A New Beginning

The last days in Kathmandu have rushed by in a haze of sightseeing and saying goodbye. I'm not sure what my emotions are, I'm sad to be leaving but feel my journey is complete.
I finally got to the monkey temple with it's fine views of the Kathmandu valley and it's place in history as the hilltop on which the Buddha preached. It seemed a fitting end to my time here.
I met up with Fletch again, and Laura from Pokhara, we all leave on three consecutive days, with me in the middle. 
I have achieved so much here personally that I'm really happy with myself, I've felt pain like never before, exhilaration, frustration, fear and exhaustion. I've been pushed beyond what I thought I was capable of, and forced to look inside myself in a way like never before. 
Not a day wasn't worthwhile, there was always something new to do, see or taste, or someone new to meet. 
I won't miss the toilets, the pollution in Kathmandu or the sickness, but I'll miss Nepal and it's people, and I'll miss the excitement of travelling.
Obviously I am going back to my old life, different in at least one way I hadn't expected, but I'm better equipped now to deal with that at least.
Fletch left today, and I'm taking Laura out tonight for last night drinks, and, well it had to be - Dhal Bat!
The ribs have become really painful again so I'm going to have to see the doc as soon as I get home, I'm worried what the damage is and disappointed that they prevented me from some of the things I wanted to do. However this opened up new opportunities, for which I am grateful.
Si and Liz probably won't believe I've added a touch of organisation to my life, and Gabe I'm sure would have loved to watch me pack! Gabe - it's all folded and in sections and I didn't just shove my arm across my bed and scoop it all in - honest!!!
So, home tomorrow, the adventure is over and there are new challenges to face, an empty flat, a single life again, and Storm - the new IT at work. So at least it'll be busy and occupy me while I settle back down. I'm dying to see the family too and can't wait to spend time with my nieces.
I saw a Christmas tree today, I guess I missed Autumn!
Oh, and yes I know there's a missing 12 days in Pokhara. It's difficult to write about as it was the only time I didn't make notes, and it's a time when there are moments I'd rather forget. But I'll fill in the blanks back in the UK.

1 comment: