Search This Blog

Saturday 13 November 2010

The curtain starts to fall....

Left Dengboche just after 8am. Hajaramah left a present for Barbara with Jim which was touching. It's one hell of a walk today, through Dengboche then Thangboche with it's incredible monastery. We tramp downhill through stunning forests, the first time we've been below the treeline for days. We have tea at Pangboche and push on in sunshine. There are blue gentian in flower and the smell of pine and rhododendron in the air. Ever down now, Kristin hiding behind me from yaks, which I'm now confident enough to shove out of the way - until I come face to face with one on a suspension bridge and have to turn and run back the way I came, much to Neema's amusement. By the time we leave Phunky Thanga I'm in a bad mood. I think all the oxygen in the air is making bits of my brain that had been out of commission work again!! The pace is too quick and I take a couple if spectacular falls. My ankle, which I sprained just before I came out doesn't feel strong, and it collapses very easily if not well balanced. After lunch it's a 900m climb back into Namche. The fog comes in and the wind covers us in dirt. Not that it matters, I'm filthy anyway and stink like a yak. We pass by a crazy dude galloping along the narrow path on a horse, and finally, at last we get to Namche. I'm last, but this time because I stopped to watch Nepal's national bird, the Monar, grubbing around in a field in good numbers. The male is like a pheasant, with seven colours, some iridescent. 
We have tea and biscuits and wait for the porters, mine and Kristin's are last as one of them had to run back to help another one who had got sick. He's so apologetic it's painful, so we give him a biscuit. The dining area is full of Germans so I don't hang about, and I go and check emails. It's nice to hear from B again, it's been hard being away from her. Kristin and I sit and chat and she has a beer, I resist the temptation and go to bed at 8 with her taking the piss loudly in the background. Our rooms are thinly divided and we keep each other awake shuffling in our bags, she farts incredibly loudly for a woman - if you're reading this you know it's true......
Then with mind racing about things at home, Gabe snoring and mice running around I lay awake for ages. Gabe takes a great pic of me all hunkered down in the bag, propped up by various bits of clothing.... And finally I sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment