Search This Blog

Thursday 30 September 2010

Ready? Probably not.

All packed now, and hopefully well below my 23kg limit. Hopefully. It's not been easy, I'm packing for mountaineering, but also need a few bits for a week in the Chitwan region, which is jungle. I'd look a right berk trying to ride and elephant through the middle of the jungle in a down jacket and mountaineering boots, but don't have the space for a pith helmet either.

I do have doubts as well, am I fit enough for this? Have I overreached myself? I guess this is what it is all about, testing myself against the biggest hills in the world. If I don't summit it doesn't really matter, however disappointing it might be, it's not about destination, it's about the journey, well, that's what I keep telling myself.

This weekend I have the little matter of my birthday to celebrate, so I am looking forward to that, and spending some time with my long suffering girlfriend, Bernie, who's put up with a lot of mess and stress this week. Been trying to get Skype sorted on my mobile, and the laptop so I can call her on her birthday, which is in the middle of the trip. It all seems a bit complicated, and I'm sure I'll end up connected to Dominos pizza or something. I don't get on so well with that sort of thing.

Saw the doctor, who seemed to be about 15 years old and wasn't sure about prescribing me some Diamox to carry as an emergency precaution, but he was kind enough to give me his personal email address and email an expedition doctor he knows for some advice. I will just pick some up off the shelf in Kathmandu, which just means I'll have to fathom out my own dose, should the worst happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment